Friday, June 26, 2009

Sun Dance

It has been raining for days and days around here. As of yesterday morning, we hadn't seen the sun in over seven days.

So when my students arrived, we decided to do a sun dance. First we composed the words. Then we worked out dance steps / hand motions to go along with them. We rehearsed, then headed outside.

Bumblebees like the sun.
It is hot and it is fun.
Rain is boring.
I am snoring.
We just wish the sun would come!

Five times we performed the sun dance in front of the school. Amalia counted "1, 2, 3, 4" so we would know when to start. Carlos counted out the number of times we had done it, so we would know when to stop. Jarad held a drawing of the sun up toward the sky. An hour later, the sun came out.

We always knew we were pretty damn powerful.

(Malcolm looked at me suspiciously. "I think you heard the weather report this morning," he said. I frowned innocently and motioned him to shush.)

No comments:

Post a Comment